The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of a Plant tissue culture and conservation expert for tropical RTB genetic resources.
Job Title: Plant Tissue Culture and Conservation Expert for Tropical RTB Genetic Resources
Job Ref: DDG-R4D/PTCCE/01/13
Location: IITA-Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Develop and lead a program of research to address the major constraints in the conservation and use of genetic resources of clonally propagated crops.
- Research on and implementation of cryopreservation in cassava and yam.
- Studies on key aspects of the biology of clonally propagated crops especially in regard to their response to tissue culture and the provision of clean planting materials.
- Publication in high impact journals.
- Development of strong scientific collaborations inside and beyond IITA.
- Resource mobilisation.
- Leadership, at a global level, in approaches to germplasm collection and exchange in clonally propagated crops. Development and adoption of new technologies and approaches including those for utilization through breeding programs.
- Training and capacity building of IITA staff and national partners in Africa and globally.
- Act as Deputy Head of IITA Genetic Resources Centre.
- The candidate must have a PhD degree in plant science, conservation biology or related areas and a minimum of four years experience in plant genetic resource conservation and use especially for clonally propagated crops.
- Capacity to handle technical aspects of plant genetic resources conservation and use.
- Competencies in research and implementation of cryopreservation of tropical RTB crops.
- Experience in management of Genebank operations with multiple clonally-propagated crops.
- Knowledge of germplasm exchange regulations, in line with international treaties, conventions and standards of PGR.
- Experience in database management and understanding of characterization tools of plant genetic resources.
- Aptitude in running teams, capacity strengthening and lab management.
- Competencies in strong and sustainable partnerships and fund mobilization.
- Ability to work in a multi-partner and multi-cultural setting and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Publication record in per-review scientific journals on ex situ conservation of plant genetic resources, genetic resource diversity assessment or evaluation, or conservation of clonally propagated crops.
- Knowledge of plant physiology, plant genetics or related areas is desirable.
Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send applications including covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager at: IITA Website
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.